Chibok-girls-videoThe military in Nigeria says the chances of getting back the Chibok girls abducted from their school’s dormitory in Chibok by the Boko Haram terrorist group are within the totality of ongoing operations against the terrorist group.

Highlights:

  • Spokesman for the military, Major General Chris Olukolade gave the uncertain assurance during a media chat on Friday
  • He says the war will soon be over if other elements of the society join the war
  • Logistics have been improved against the Boko Haram terrorist group
  • Stresses the need for every Nigerian to support the military. 

Details

At a media chat on Friday, the spokesman for the military, Major General Chris Olukolade, said that the war against the terrorist group would be won soon “if other elements of the society join us in this war”.

“We’ll soon be victors. We are upgrading firepower, logistics have been improved and neighbors have been enlisted.

“This war, is not the business of the Military, but the business of the nation,” he said, stressing the need for all Nigerians to support the war against the terrorist group in the nation’s north-east.

“Married off”

Major General Olukolade was not, however, specific about the chances of rescuing the girls abducted on April 14 from the Government Girls Secondary school in Chibok in Borno State.

The leader of the terrorist group had in a video said that the girls had been “married off”.

On Thursday, the Nigerian Government held closed-door discussions with parents and relations of the abducted Chibok girls, briefing them about how far the administration has gone in securing their release from captivity.

President Goodluck Jonathan was represented at the meeting held in Maiduguri, Borno state’s capital, by the Minister of State for Power, Mohammed Wakil, while the families of the girls were led by Mrs Pindar Dauda.

The meeting centred on government’s commitment to safe return of the girls.
The youth leader of the Chibok community was also in attendance with some elders of the community.

“Multi- faceted strategies”

Wakil told the parents that the Nigerian government, under President Jonathan had devised a comprehensive counter- insurgency strategy which had four central goals: reclaiming of occupied territories, rescue of abducted persons, resettlement of Internally Displaced Persons, and the rehabilitation of insurgency-ravaged communities.

“Mr President is pursuing multi- faceted strategies which address the pains, anger and frustrations of victims. Our President directed me to tell you that his government is committed to doing everything possible for the safe return of your daughters.

“I am here to convey the sympathy of Mr President and the entire Federal cabinet to you the parents and families as well as all other victims. As you are all aware, our military is having the upper hand in this sacred war. We believe by the grace of God that your children will return safely,” the President’s representative said.

The Minister further hailed the families for refusing to support the politicisation of the regrettable abduction. He said: “Your presence here to listen to the message of Mr President confirms your belief in the ongoing counter insurgency operations as a solution to our collective challenge.”

The Spokesperson of the parents and families, Mrs Pindar Dauda, thanked the President for his concern and sympathy while praying for the success of the ongoing military operations.

“I appeal to President Jonathan not to relent. He should continue with the war on Boko Haram. He should get our children back for us safely. We are praying for him and the military,” Mrs Dauda said.

The leader of the Boko Haram terrorist group, Abubakar Shekau, has in a new video
The Nigerian government says it is still negotiating with the Boko Haram sect, for a
One of the persons that are rehabilitating the girls released by the Boko Haram sect
The first day of the 54th national conference of South Africa’s governing party ended without
South Africa's Department of International Relations and Cooperation (Dirco) has expressed concern over United States

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here